Author Topic: Acer AO533 revived  (Read 1858 times)

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
Acer AO533 revived
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »
Hi folks,

This Acer AO533 came with Windows 7 starter which lasted about 6 months from new before I eventually ditched it. (even with a 2Gb DDR3 RAM upgrade it was slow)

Having experimented /tried various distro's as a linux newbie, Zorin, Linux Mint Xfce (Maya), Xubuntu, Pear OS 7 & 8 and Elementary OS to name a few over the last two years, I have happily anchored peppermint 5 to my Acer AO533.

To speed things up more,I have upgraded this AO533 with a Sandisk SSD and Peppermint 5 flies on this with the btrfs (file system)
Around 12-15 seconds to login screen from cold boot and 3 seconds to shutdown..wow! (having tweaked and optimised things for the SSD.)
Instead of Chromium, I opted for Mozilla Firefox as a browser (due to having 15 years experience with it) purely for the advantages of tweaks, plug-ins and config settings for security and optimisations.

I love the speed and simplicity of this distro without too many bells and whistles.

Who says old net-books are dead?  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Acer AO533 revived
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:01:57 pm »
Couldn't agree more .. I came to Peppermint (2) for an Acer Aspire One, and stayed :)

Now I have it on everything.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Acer AO533 revived
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »
I came here trying to get an IBM T22 to function with linux, and Peppermint 3 was the only OS that ever worked right on a T22...    :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40