Choose style:

Author Topic: accidentally bought a netbook cooler instead of notebook  (Read 3244 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
accidentally bought a netbook cooler instead of notebook
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:55:49 am »
i ordered a cooler for my laptop (note book dell latitude d630)
i thought it said netbook it was note book and very small. Is it possible to still use this thing
will it help if it place it under the fan system or will that mess it up???

at normal web surfing doing the regular thing it usually is between 37-45 degreess C
but when i watch hulu or netflix it has gone up to 90 tha dropped back down i thought maybe
a cooler will help a bit. should i just send this back or can i still use it keeping in mind i have it on top of a desk hooked
up to a mointor will a keyboard and mouse i dont use it as a mobile laptop.?
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: accidentally bought a netbook cooler instead of notebook
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:10:02 am »
Without actually physically testing its capabilities in lab conditions, I couldn't tell you.  No one here is going put their neck on the line and advise you to use/test it.  You have to ask yourself.  Is testing it going to void your customer rights because of incorrect usage?  Is it going to damage your machine?  The only sensible advise is.  Return it or, exchange it for the right size  ;).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:09:46 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:14:39 am »
Hello iamesperambient,

I know it's a nuisance, but AndyInMokum is giving good advice here.  Return the darn thing.  That was an easy mistake to make. 

Now how much these cooling mats, or stands, help is anybody's guess, but I figure using one of these devices will keep your computer cooler than not using one.  I looked up your computer online, and I believe if you're able to go to Walmart, they have a Targus Chill Mat Cooling Stand for about $30.  The thing is about 15" inches across.  What I do is push my laptop about an inch up on the cooling stand to get as much cool air blowing on my computer as I can.

But I second AndyInMokum's advice.  Return the darn thing, and get one that's a better fit for your computer. 

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:32:10 pm »
thanks ya im just going to try to order one for a notebook this time ! i could have sworn it said note book
didnt even think about netbook honestly as something that exists.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »
Without actually physically testing its capabilities in lab conditions, I couldn't tell you [...]

Agreed!

There are many, many different types of 'lap coolers' out there.  Physical dimensions aside; the intended usage, will dictate the design, and so forth, and so on.  There are lots of different variables to consider for a 'proper fit'.

Some coolers remove the hot air that's trapped under the notebook, e.g. they suck.  Some coolers replace hot air, e.g. they blow.  Some will suck hot air or blow cool air, by simply turning them over.  These flip-style coolers are generally designed for desktop usage only.  Placing them on your lap won't do jack.

Some coolers are designed to set on your lap -- to protect your 'private parts' and legs from getting burned.  They vacuum away the hot air, and blow it out the sides or back of the cooler, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

So, yes, 'it_all_depends' is the correct answer.   ;)

Here's the cooler I'm currently using on the desktop (only) with my Dell Lattitude D620/D630:

https://pcgearhead.com/iFrame/cooling-pads.php?PrdID=1145

It fits perfectly under the Dell D620/D630.  It's actually 'whisper quiet' (as advertised), it does the job well, pushes a lot of air, and it's cheap to replace when the fan(s) burn out.  Last one I bought was $8.00 USD (Fry's Electronics).

For on_your_nutz_usage, I would strongly suggest something else, but the OP didn't ask about that...   8)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 04:24:42 pm »
Sure beats $30, and you get more variety than at Wally World!  Forget what I said this morning about Walmart, we have listen to what VinDSL says here. 

Remember, VinDSL lives in Arizona.  VinDSL knows about heat!  ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »
Remember, VinDSL lives in Arizona.  VinDSL knows about heat!  ;)

I know you won't believe this -- I'd take a pic, but I don't want to embarrass myself...

I place a pair of 5 lb. dumbbells under the cooler (which fit perfectly, too) to act as a spacer/stand/heatsink. **

Without the cooler, the dumbbells get blisteringly hot, soaking up the heat from the bottom of the case. 

With the cooler, they tend to cool the incoming air because they maintain ambient temps.

Gotta do, what you gotta do, living in one of the hottest spots on Earth, you know?!?!?

** And, in advance:  No, PCNetSpec, I don't use frag tape/thermal paste on the dumbells.  LoL   ;D

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:37:47 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 01:46:31 am »
thanks ill look into getting a proper laptop cooler next paycheck thats the only issue i have with my laptop is it does get pretty hot when watching videos

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:03:11 am »

Gotta do, what you gotta do, living in one of the hottest spots on Earth, you know?!?!? -- VinDSL

This is why you're the perfect guy to give a recommendation.  You're living with lots and lots of heat.  If fact, from what I'm hearing, Phoenix may become the first city in the U.S. that will reach a daily temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 Celsius) year-round within the next decade.

That's an idea to chew on for the global warming naysayers!  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:43 am »
Firstly I've moved this topic from "Support > Hardware" to "General Discussion" as it's not really a hardware "support" question (it's functioning properly) .. more a "discussion" about coolers

Now...

That's an idea to chew on for the global warming naysayers!  ;)

Come to the UK and explain global "warming" to me  :-\

Oh that's right, they've changed it to "climate change" because it's only "warming" in certain places ::) .. a bit like the climate change that occurred in the sahara way before fossil fuels ?, and the fact the world has been warmer in the past, and the fact they now admit polar warming may not be following the course they expected.

And before the "I'm running scared because the government funded scientists (who have an obvious agenda to cut oil production and raise more money/funding from "green" taxes) told me to" bunch chime in .. there is not enough data to know if "climate change" is a natural or man made process, but that doesn't mean I'm against playing it safe ;)

I'm not a "naysayer" (it might be true), I'm all for playing it safe and doing the science, but I refuse to accept it at face value from people with a vested interest, who make their inferences based on loosely connected yet unproven observations because they don't have enough data, and who are more than happy to ignore anything that doesn't fit their model.

Might be interesting to know how much funding goes into "proving" climate change Vs "disproving" don't you think ?
(and how much extra tax has been raised since "green" became an agenda)

Now, how about that dark matter and dark energy stuff eh .. must be true right ? ;)

As for the cooler .. As VinDSL suggests, if it stops the build up of warm air underneath the laptop thereby making sure the laptops own fan is drawing in 'slightly' cooler (rather than pre-warmed) air, it's functioning as intended .. anything beyond that is purely aesthetic.

I've never been convinced the tabletop type make much difference anyway.

The laptop type (drawing air from the side) WILL make a difference, but only where they stop the laptops own fan from getting blocked .. a tray would pretty much do the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:54:53 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »
The laptop type (drawing air from the side) WILL make a difference, but only where they stop the laptops own fan from getting blocked .. a tray would pretty much do the same thing.

Good I think that's what mine does!  :)

By the way, New Hampshire can be a cold and damp place too.  We get just two or three weeks of extreme heat around the second half of July.  We also have about seven months of cold -- January being our coldest month.  I guess, what I'm saying is, we could use a little of VinDSL's heat here -- although the scientists are saying this region of New England is getting warmer over time.*

PCNetSpec, I always like to hear somebody say, "follow the money."  National Public Radio was just talking about "dark money" before I wrote this post.  There's tons of it going into our mid-term election right now as we speak.  :-X

Thank you,

perknh

*The deer tick (which causes Lyme Disease) has moved north -- from Connecticut to here -- over the last decade or so.  This migration of the deer tick is attributed to New Hampshire having a warmer climate than before.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:10:05 pm by perknh »