Choose style:

Author Topic: Create a Peppermint ISO with custom applications [SOLVED]  (Read 2883 times)

Offline franco

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Create a Peppermint ISO with custom applications [SOLVED]
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:08:09 pm »
Hi all,

I just installed Peppermint in a VM and I like it very much.
I like its cloud-oriented appeal.

But I have an issue to solve. I need to install it on about 20 PCs and I need to make users confortable in their work after the migration. My idea is to replece Windws XP + Microsoft Office + Internet Explorer (!) + Thunderbird with Peppermint + LibreOffice + Chromium + Thunderbird.

So I want to
  • install an instance of Peppermint, install on it LibreOffice and Thunderbird (plus eventually other software)
  • create an ISO and masterize it
  • use the media for all the installations on all the PCs

Well, my problem is with the second item. Is there a way to do it? With wich tools? I googled but without help, I looked for remastersys but it seems abandoned.
Any help is welcome.
Thank you all,

Franco
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:22:20 am by franco »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Create a Peppermint ISO with custom applications
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:56:47 am »
I'm told Remastersys still works

You might also want to try the Ubuntu Customization Kit .. I've never tried this with Peppermint, but it *MIGHT* work.

Latest version of the UCK:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uck/
and info:
http://linux.co.uk/2011/01/ubuntu-customization-kit-uck-2-4-3-released/

Your other option would be to Install Peppermint to a single machine but install NO proprietary drivers .. install the applications you want .. then use something like Redo Backup & Restore to create an image of the hard drive.

Then restore that image to the other machines.

Then (and only then) install proprietary drivers if necessary.

Unlike Windows, as long as you haven't installed say some proprietary griphics drivers so you're using the kernel drivers, you can t4ransfer the hard drive (or in this case image) from one PC to another and it will just reconfigure itself for the different hardware.

Redo Backup & Restore:
http://redobackup.org/

Another option in the same vein would be to use clonezilla to physically clone the one hard drive to another .. but obviously this would mean taking out the hard drives.

Clonezilla:
http://clonezilla.org/

Persoanlly I'd go with the Redo method .. it will require a Redo CD/DVD and an external HDD (or network server) to hold the image.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline franco

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »
Thank you for your exhaustive help.

Redo Backup & Restore done the job. It's very simple and have lots of options.
It would be perfect with the ability to create the back up in an ISO Live, so it could be saved on a DVD.
I don't find this function in Redo Backup & Restore, am I wrong?

Thank you again,

Franco

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »
No it doesn't create a Live ISO that includes the image.

But it does have an option to create a LiveUSB stick .. I suppose theoretically you could add persistence to the LiveUSB then save the hard drive image to it .. therefore having a Redo LiveUSB that also contains the HDD image.

Obviously that would only work on PC's that can boot from a USB stick.

Just as easy to boot the Redo LiveCD, and have the HDD image on a separate USB stick.

Anyway, glad it worked for you .. if you're happy this is now solved, can you please mark the topic so. You can do this by editing the FIRST posting in this topic and changing:-

Subject: Create a Peppermint ISO with custom applications (SOLVED)

Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »
One minor note: if you do create a custom Peppermint ISO image I ask that you not distribute it publicly unless you remove all Peppermint related branding. But for distribution within your organization, by all means go ahead.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline franco

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
Just as easy to boot the Redo LiveCD, and have the HDD image on a separate USB stick

Yes, this is my way  ;) Thank you

One minor note: if you do create a custom Peppermint ISO image I ask that you not distribute it publicly unless you remove all Peppermint related branding. But for distribution within your organization, by all means go ahead.

No public distribution, simply the standard Peppermint distro plus some applications (LibreOffice, Thunderbird...) and only in our organization.
I was looking for a simple way to install the same sw configuration on all our PCs.
Thank you.

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 10:14:49 am »
I was looking for a simple way to install the same sw configuration on all our PCs.
Thank you.

Let us know how it ends up working for you.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.