Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Can't get Toshiba Satellite C875-S7304 to boot thumdrive ISO  (Read 3024 times)

Offline kevinbanjo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I tried it a couple different ways.  Dd'ing over the ISO to the thumbdrive directly, plus putting it on with unetbootin.

I see it blink the access lights on the thumbdrive a couple times several seconds apart then it just goes on to boot windows.  I know I have the bios set to boot to the USB first plus I have hit F12 bringing up the boot menu and selected USB just to make sure.

When I do unetbootin, am I supposed to put the vfat directly on it (e.g. /dev/sdb) or on its 1st partition (/dev/sdb1) or does it matter?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:12:21 am by kevinbanjo »

Offline kevinbanjo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get Toshiba Satellite C875-S7304 to boot thumdrive ISO
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:24:31 pm »
Also I have confirmed the md5sum!

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »
sounds too me like your machine has the new partitioning on it, most machines built that come with windows 8 have this new setup...  I am sure someone will pop in shortly and tell you how to check for this and how to get around this...  Good luck...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline kevinbanjo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:47 pm »
I hope so because I'm just planning on completely DE-virising it (e.g. removing windows).   It seems very strange to me that any partitioning scheme on the hard drive could possibly interfere with booting off a complete different device!   It shouldn't even LOOK at the hard drive before it boots to the USB, and even it if does, it shouldn't be making ANY decisions based on that other than perhaps popping an error saying the disk is damaged/disconnected.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:24:08 pm »
there is also a bios switch on these new setups to boot in legacy mode, if that is not on a legacy boot chip won't boot up...  if you plan on totally removing windows there is a way to do that quite easy just search the forum here it has popped up a few times recently....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:38:38 pm »
I've just been having a scratch around and in the all new "dancing and singing" UEFI thing, you need to select the legacy mode and turn off Secure Boot.  Apparently it is the Secure Boot part that causes the problem.  I have never done this or even seen what UEFI looks like.  I'm sure someone will come along and point you in the right direction if you are still having problems.  Good luck  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline kevinbanjo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »
there is also a bios switch on these new setups to boot in legacy mode, if that is not on a legacy boot chip won't boot up...  if you plan on totally removing windows there is a way to do that quite easy just search the forum here it has popped up a few times recently....

Well, I am going to wipe windows but first I have to boot the peppermint boot stick so I can back some stuff up.