Choose style:

Author Topic: Docky 2.2.1 bzr docky r1855 ppa  (Read 11426 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Docky 2.2.1 bzr docky r1855 ppa
« on: October 11, 2014, 04:04:21 am »
Hello everyone, how's it going?  Many of us are using some sort of dock to launch our apps.  Docky has been my choice from when I started to use Linux with LMDE back in 2013.  It served me well through Crunchband 11 "Waldorf" and Peppermint OS Four until I upgraded to Peppermint Five.  The version in the Ubuntu repository is: Docky 2.2.0.  This version is really buggy.  If you are using a laptop, (The Pepperminter's prefered choice of weaponry  :D).  Docky cuts out when the power adapter is removed, the lid closed, the machine is suspended and hibernated.  Docky 2.2.0 needs to be restarted manually every time - really annoying eh  >:(.  I found a solution of a kind.  It can be seen in this link: http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,538.0.html Reply #6.  While this provides a solution of sorts.  It is not exactly satisfactory because it introduces new anomalies like "ghosting".  It makes Docky very ugly.

I finally became fed up with it and removed it and installed the Cairo-Dock.  I immediately hated that and it was removed without a second thought  :-X.  I missed the simple elegance of Docky.  I figured that there must be a ppa with an up to date version.  Well there is - albeit a beta version: Docky 2.2.1 bzr docky r1855 ppa.  Eureka  :o, it works beautifully!  The ppa informs us that it is a "beta" version for developers. Ironically, it is much more stable than the current "Stable" version in the repos. Here's how to install it.

Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please use the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while in the terminal window to paste the contents.

First, remove the existing Docky if you have it installed.

Enter the following command:
Code: [Select]
apt remove --purge docky
Hit enter and enter your user password if asked.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to apply.

Next remove the clumsy solution if you have applied it.

sudo rm -v /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_docky
Hit enter and enter the following command:
sudo rm -v /etc/pm/power.d/20_docky
Hit enter.

Now install the ppa and Docky 2.2.1 bzr docky r1855 ppa.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa 
You will see a whimsical warning. This gave me a chuckle  ;D:
This ppa is used for docky developers. Beta testing anything here is like walking into a burning building. We wont stop you, but you will probably get cooked alive.
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~docky-core/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
Hit enter. Enter your password if asked.  You will be asked for confirmation of the action - hit enter again.

Enter the following code:
apt update && apt install docky -y
Hit enter.  After Docky has installed, launch it from: menu>Accessories>Docky

That does it.  You should have an elegant "stable" albeit a "beta" version of Docky up and running.  I hope this is a permanent solution - have fun  ;)!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:00:32 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
Re: Docky 2.2.1 bzr docky r1855 ppa
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:03:26 am »
Hi Andy, that is a well written tutorial  :)

I don't normally use docks, but I am giving it a go with Cairo. Which did close a few times, where I needed to restart it. It is running better now (3 reboots later).

Does Docky use a lot of resources? I am asking because of my 1.6 Ghz atom CPU. I try to always run lightweight apps when possible.

Glad you found a way around the buggy "stable" version  ;)
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:34 am »
Hi 10i.  Thanks, I try write with nOObs in mind.  Yes, Docky is lighter that Cairo-Dock and slightly heavier than Plank.  It is a really nice compromise between the other two.  Docky doesn't have all the "whizz bang" bells and whistles of Cairo-Dock.  They just irritate me.  It is far more refined than Plank though.  It is customisable, without going over the top and becoming a memory/CPU hog.  There are plenty of default themes and even more to download.  I find it a really elegant dock.  It does the job really well  ;)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:43:16 am »
You have convinced me, I am going to try Docky  :)

edit: I installed it, and so far so good. Looks good. Will let you know if I have any issues.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:16:05 am by 10i »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:03:48 am »
I guess I am old school, but if you want your machine to look like a mac, and act like a mac, then go buy a mac....    :)
This is Peppermint linux, it is not a mac....  ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:47:34 am »
I guess I am old school, but if you want your machine to look like a mac, and act like a mac, then go buy a mac....    :)
This is Peppermint linux, it is not a mac....
;)

It is nice to have a choice and be able  customize.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:51:50 am »
This is Peppermint linux, it is not a mac....  ;)

not all of us can afford the high price of a mac.
also some of use like the aqua interface but want the freedom to change at anytime
and also don't want to support satanists like bill gates or apple.

and i happen to like cario dock and haven't noticed it sucking to my power on my system or had many errors either.
Didn't like plank to simple and docky to much hassle with the glitches cario dock did the trick for me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:53:47 am by iamesperambient »
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 02:54:59 am »
Hi 10i.  Thanks, I try write with nOObs in mind.  Yes, Docky is lighter that Cairo-Dock and slightly heavier than Plank.  It is a really nice compromise between the other two.  Docky doesn't have all the "whizz bang" bells and whistles of Cairo-Dock.  They just irritate me.  It is far more refined than Plank though.  It is customisable, without going over the top and becoming a memory/CPU hog.  There are plenty of default themes and even more to download.  I find it a really elegant dock.  It does the job really well  ;)

I actually removed most of the bells and whistles from cario dock. I just like the look of it and that i get no errors but all of the built in
features I'm currently not using ANY of them.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 03:57:26 am »
Go with what suits you. That's one of the greatest gifts Linux offers its users - "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, (and sisters)....  :D".   Freedom of choice "Rocks"  ;)!!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 07:29:20 am »
Go with what suits you. That's one of the greatest gifts Linux offers its users - "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, (and sisters)....  :D".   Freedom of choice "Rocks"  ;)!! -- AndyInMokum

I agree.  ;)

And I might be the only guy in town who actually likes the Unity interface -- with its built-in dock.  I just don't like how Ubuntu tied everything into Unity making it an unwieldy OS.  (I know that's why it's called Unity!)  12.04 was a lot lighter, and less cluttered, than 14.04, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to be listening to its users when we say we don't want Amazon's search suggestions, or all those unnecessary Dash plugins. 

The latest Unity OS makes my laptop move like mud.  Docky, or Plank, or the Application Launch Bar, are all much kinder to my laptop within Peppermint than Ubuntu's Unity 14.04 will ever be.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:48:31 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 02:02:41 pm »
I agree.  ;)

And I might be the only guy in town who actually likes the Unity interface -- with its built-in dock.

Might not be the time and place, but we're in 'GNU/Linux Discussion'.  I'll keep it brief - a few screenies   ;D

Judging by your posts, it sounds like you might be ready for the Gnome 3 DE.  That's what I use 99% of the time in Ubu.

You know how the "built-in dock" looks.  Here's the good ol' rotating cube -- Unity's best feature IMO -- 'Compiz':

Unity is built on top of the Gnome 3 DE.  Here's how the GS 'dock' looks.  It's like Unity, but better:

And, you can add a classic 'button style' main  menu via GS extensions, if you wish.  It's a one-click affair:

Unity is okay, but I find GS to be much more useful and much less resource intensive.

You might find it interesting, too...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »
Since we now use the xfwm4 window manager instead of openbox, compiz will work just fine in Peppermint 4 and 5 .. so no need for that GS or Unity rubbish .. you can have your wobbly windows and rotating cube, etc. fix without them :)

Hey, someone said we're all entitled to our opinions ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »
Hey, someone said we're all entitled to our opinions ;)

Heh!  I like my Peppermint lean n' mean... my desktop machine, not so much.

I'm a valiant trencherman with a healthy appetite, but do not enjoy breaking Peppermint.

That's what Ubu is for...    :D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »
Thank you, VinDSL and PCNetSpec. 

I only like the Unity Interface (e.g. the disappearing dock, and the clever Dash), but I'm very disappointed with the OS itself.  As I said, it's way too heavy for my computer.

I know this is a Docky thread -- that's why I jumped into it, and it's also the reason why I moved my Application Launch Bar post out of it.  I still like Plank for its simplicity, but I was delighted to discover the Application Launch Bar.  Heck it does everything Plank does, and it's built right into Peppermint's panel.  It's fast, and it's light on resources.  I considerate it to be a hidden gem within LXDE.

I'll look more into Gnome 3D, and I'll look into Compiz.  I know so little about either of them.

Thank you both very much,

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 07:51:22 pm »
yep i was thinking of actually doing that soon adding another panel on the bottom and setting my apps in the launch bar to conserve some resources even though
i didnt notice cario dock taking up to my space, than making it transparent so the icons are just there I think i will mess with this later on and see how it works if i like it
maybe ill go this route.