Choose style:

Author Topic: i could be wrong but i read there is a new version of pacmanfm how can i update  (Read 1401 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
i'm having some glitches with pacmanfm i'm wondering if installing the newer version may fix it? how would i go about doing that?
doesn't seem it updated with any new updates.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Hi, iamesperambient, have you tried tuning off your Desktop Effects or at least some of them?  Go to menu > Preferences > Peppermint Control Center and select the Desktop Effects tab and uncheck the Enable Desktop Effects box.  If that makes a difference re-check the box and uncheck the individual desktop effects boxes.  Re-check them until the issue reappears.  Try different combinations.

Upgrading PCManFm is not recommended as it will involve far more than removing the old and installing the new. PCManFM is more than just a file manager, it controls your desktop environment. Under no circumstances try to remove PCManFM.  Doing so, WILL BREAK you desktop!!  I hope this helps - good luck  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:12:52 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
AndyInMokum is of course 100% correct, messing with PCManFM is risky and should only be undertaken if you know what you're doing .. also I doubt (but could be wrong) that installing the latests version will make any difference to your "dots" issue (which at a guess is graphics driver related), it may even introduce some unforeseen issues of its own..

But if you still feel the need, I've put the latest pcmanfm (1.2.3) in my pcmanfm-testing PPA.

WARNING - First let me emphasise this is a "TESTING" PPA, so it's contents are NOT fully tested yet .. so far it seems OK on 32bit Peppermint 5 but I haven't had a great deal of time to test it, and haven't tested AT ALL on 64bit .. so this is strictly INSTALL/USE YOUR OWN RISK, and most definitely NOT an official Peppermint update.
(I also will NOT 'personally' be supporting issues with this version .. so any future issues arising from this version of pcmanfm are on your own head)

First make sure you don't have lxshortcut installed:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove --purge lxshortcut
then add the PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mark-pcnetspec/pcmanfm-testing
then update your package cache:
sudo apt-get update
then install with:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
(keep an eye out for anything being "held back")

then log off/on or reboot.

Once back at the desktop, open File Manager and go to
Help > About
and make sure it says it's PCManFM 1.2.3 and that it's using LibFM ver. 1.2.3

Remember what I said earlier, INSATLL/USE AT YOUR OWN RISK .. if the galaxy explodes, don't come crying to me because I've already left for Andromeda ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:55:30 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
ill take your guys word and i wont update. the issue seems to have passed after messing with window effects last night,
but seems to pop up every once and a while, i also fear what is causing this will eventually cause other problems just wish
 i could find whats doing it. anyway thanks!
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ