Choose style:

Author Topic: Unwelcomed News Concerning Google and Open Source  (Read 2384 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:02:36 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Unwelcomed News Concerning Google and Open Source
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 05:26:05 pm »
Go google...  hope it works for them so my stocks go up...  ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:13 pm »
rjm65, you are entertaining an interesting point.  ;)

Does making something less and less open source necessarily help increase share holders' dividends?  I'm not certain that it would.  Perhaps the contrary could be true.  The American public has already lost a lot of trust in Google.  How would the inclusion of more and more proprietary software engender more and more public trust for Google?

I'm not sure that it would.  :-\

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:47:36 am »
you will find out sooner or later that I was born and raised old school with common sense...
The way i see it is like this, google made their android from linux which is cool and all but how fair is it that other companies copy android and call it their own and take money from googles pocketbook...  If you made this software and someone did that too you, I bet you would be in court in 2.3 seconds saying to the judge hey wtf?
so I applaud google for what they are doing because it will ensure that nobody does that to them again...   :o
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:59:21 am »
It will certainly streamline the updating process.  Too many of the mobile service providers sit on their hands after Google have released an update.  Just so they can do their own tweaks, edits and compile some more bloatware.  It is really annoying and Google catches the flac for it.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:20 am »
I think this is the perfect time for a couple smart Chinese, or East Indian, software companies to offer a compelling alternative to what Google is doing.   Google, from what I can see, isn't doing us any favors here.  It hardly pays any taxes in comparison to the revenue it generates each year.  Who really wants to support a corporation that behaves like that.

Source:
http://valleywag.gawker.com/google-is-still-paying-barely-any-taxes-on-its-billions-1610960893

Thank goodness there still remains the Android Open Source Project.  I figure a company like Maxthon has enough software savvy, and enough business smarts, to partner with good hardware manufacturer, and give Google a good run for its money.  Those who know how to read code would be able to see how clean these Android OSes would be running.  We'd all get more privacy than we do now with Google.  The gruesome Sixsome -- the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel all pretty much have open dips on all of our personal data.  The Chinese could make a good open source Android OS, and package it in a good product, and sell these Android or Chromium OSes to us at a reasonable price, while helping all of us, on this side of the Pacific basin, protect our privacy.

No, my Peppermint friends, open source is supposed to be exactly that -- open source!  Google is getting way to big for its britches here, and it's beginning to act, and think, more like Microsoft than Firefox here.

We need a new vision here:  We need new players in the Android market, and some good solid people who will continue to go by the rules governing open source.