Author Topic: The Inexplicably Magical Peppermint Linux OS  (Read 1730 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
The Inexplicably Magical Peppermint Linux OS
« on: April 02, 2015, 06:24:47 pm »
@ PCNetSpec

Last year, when Peppermint 5 came out, I tried putting our OS onto two very old desktop computer with no success.  Well today, I tried again, on one of those very same old computers.  And, you know what?  That old computer discovered Peppermint as it ought to be  -- and with the 3.13 kernel too!   Something certainly happened to Peppermint Linux OS between then and now.  That old computer is now humming along like a champ!  ;)

PCNetSpec, I wanted you hear a happy story tonight.  And yes, I did upgrade the kernel to 3.16, but there was no real need to do so.

There is clearly something inexplicably magical about Peppermint Linux OS!

No question we have a great forum here, but we also need to keep in mind we have an equally fantastic OS. 

Let's hear it for Peppermint!! :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: The Inexplicably Magical Peppermint Linux OS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:38:11 pm »
It is a great little OS, with an awesome forum :)

I am thinking of formatting my Windows 8.1 laptop and installing Peppermint and then running Windows Xp in a virtual machine so that I can use Corel Draw.

I miss Peppermint!
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 03:40:25 am »
Hello 10i,

Here's something that our Peppermint's chief operating officer, Shane Remington, wrote about Peppermint four years ago .  What he said then about Peppermint Linux OS is as true now as it was then.

I bet you do miss Peppermint.

perknh

http://peppermintos.com/2011/01/community-the-driving-force-behind-the-os/
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:12:04 am »
Hi perknh, I still have Peppermint on my (now) secondary machine.
At some point I hope to master running Peppermint on my new laptop, but for now I am stuck.

The community is what keeps bringing me back here. I have tried elementary os and Mint and their communities simply cannot compare.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
Hi perknh, I still have Peppermint on my (now) secondary machine.
At some point I hope to master running Peppermint on my new laptop, but for now I am stuck.

The community is what keeps bringing me back here. I have tried elementary os and Mint and their communities simply cannot compare.

Hello 10i,

Fortunately, I have discovered over time that there are a few other decent Linux forums which have some outstanding individuals worthy of a high praise:  Sparky Linux, which is a Debian-based Polish distribution, has Pavroo and MoroS who are two very kind, very smart, and very helpful people.  Those two men had proven to me they have patience of a windmill when I got myself in a jam within one of their LXDE distros. (By the way our very own PCNetSpec helped us all over at Sparky Linux too.  What I saw with that interaction was an eyeopener.  When I saw the cooperation between between PCNetSpec and Pavroo and MoroS at Sparky, I saw the absolute best of that Linux can do:  Solid grassroots Linux distributions can accomplish anything they want when they work together.  Yes, I saw that with my own eyes.  Unfortunately this cooperation happens far too rarely in my opinion.)  Also Bridge Linux, which is an American Arch-based distribution, has Ninja-1 and sqlpython who are two kind, knowledgeable, and very helpful people.  And, then finally, there is SliTaz, a Swiss-based Independent distribution. There they have a fellow there called Ceel who is besides being an absolute whiz at Linux, is also a jazz saxophone player at a nightclub in Paris.  Now how's that for being cool?  Jazz, nightclub, Paris, and Linux?  I'm sorry, but you can't get much cooler than that!   Ceel was incredibly helpful and patient with me when I discovered I had put Linux was on my computer, and I hadn't a clue what I was doing with it.  So, thankfully 10i, there are other good souls out there in the world of various Linux distributions who are smart, helpful, kind, and patient.  In fact, I don't believe Linux OS would be anywhere of any value without all the caring people like the people I just mentioned above.

At a minimum, what all these distributions share in common is civility.  But Peppermint forum does have that something extra called Gezellig ( in Dutch) or Gesellig ( in Africaans) "a comfortable, cozy, warm, well satisfied feeling", or 'the people and interaction make the experience complete."  AndyInMokum and you were the first people to share this concept with me, but these words are perfect when describing Peppermint's forum.

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1443.msg12994.html#msg12994

But, yes, 10i,  there is no place like Peppermint's forum, and, for us, being at Peppermint; well, there no place like home!  ;)

10i, I am far from being a master of Peppermint.  Right now, Slim.Fatz is teaching me about folder, files, and Windows managers.  To be honest, I'm starting from scratch.   But I understand this:  With just a minimum of tweaking, Peppermint can make a computer do just about anything you'd want a computer to do.  My wife grew up without any computer background at all, but of all the various distributions from which to choose, she happily chooses Peppermint as her default distribution.  You can't even get her to say the W word in this house with her saying the Spanish word odio before it.   Yeah, she too is Peppermint-smitten!

10i, we'll have a fuller understanding of how Peppermint works in time.  We're learning more and more each day.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:30:06 am by perknh »