Choose style:

Author Topic: After installing, the GRUB screen shows up  (Read 11684 times)

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Hopefully 5 by end of month
Re: After installing, the GRUB screen shows up
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:49:49 pm »
Yeah, for the past few months, I switched the boot options to Windows being first in the BIOS, so Windows always boots no matter what. And I literally got the flashing GRUB prompt by updating while installing Peppermint, otherwise the installer would crash.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
OK, so Windows boots normally if you do nothing after switching on the PC ?

but what do you do after switching on the PC to get to the flashing GRUB promt you mentioned in your first post ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 08:55:38 pm »
I literally try to boot Peppermint.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
Yeah but how ?

I'm after an answer like this...

I turn on the PC, and if I do nothing it boots directly into Windows (without going to GRUB), so immediately after starting the PC I hold the F10 key to access the boot device selections screen .. I then select the external hard drive as the boot device, and I'm then presented with the flashing GRUB prompt.

in other words, explain EXACTLY what you need to do to boot

a) Windows
and
b) to gett o the flashing GRUB prompt
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 09:21:04 pm »
When Peppermint finished installing, it would go directly to Peppermint OS and it would try to boot it, it would fail and show the GRUB prompt, so I had to go into the BIOS, switch the Boot Options so that Windows is always the first option, and would always boot unless I tried to boot the BIOS. So now, Windows boots automatically without me having to do anything.

Now, for me to get to the flashing GRUB prompt, I have to go into BIOS, go to the Boot Override option and select the Peppermint partition.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 09:45:05 pm »
OK, that makes sense now.....

So it would seem that the GRUB bootloader was installed to the MBR of the external HDD and you were going to use the BIOS to select which OS to boot.

Your problem lies in the fact that you have a GPT partition table on the internal HDD .. so I'm assuming you have
a) Windows 8
and
b) a UEFI BIOS

GRUB cannot easily be installed to an HDD with GPT (which is fine as we dont' want it to)
But also the UEFI BIOS can sometimes make installation and booting from an external HDD difficult.

Have you got access to another desktop PC (preferably not Win8) that you could physically disconnect the internal HDD from ?

If so you could disconnect the internal HDD (for safely), then install Peppermint to the external HDD .. then re-attach the external HDD to the WIn8 PC and choose which OS to boot from the BIOS

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 09:47:20 pm »
Problem is I don't own a desktop...  :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »
OK, we can try again on the laptop, but it carries a risk to Windows if you do anything wrong .. it'll have t wait till tomorrow though as I'm off to bed, it's nearly 3:00 in the morning here :)

I'll post more tomorrow.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 09:58:34 pm »
Alright  :D

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33:49 pm »
Anything?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 06:31:41 am »
OK, what's the plan here .. dual boot with Peppermint on the external hard drive with the external hard drive being made bootable via the BIOS ?

Which version of Windows ?

Are you game for reinstalling Windows if necessary ? .. do you have a Windows installation disk ?

If you want Peppermint on the external HDD, is this external HDD ALWAYS attached to your PC

The ONLY way to install Peppermint to the external HDD and not have it break Windows booting when the external HDD is not attached is to make sure GRUB stage one goes on the MBR af the eternal HDD .. but that means whenever you decide you want to change which OS to boot into you'll need to change the boot device in the BIOS.

Putting Peppermint alongside Windows on the internal HDD is going to require the HDD to have an MSDOS style partition, rather than a GPT partition table, so Windows will need reinstalling after changing the partition table.

I take it you have a UEFI BIOS ? .. have you disabled secureboot and enabled "legacy BIOS" support ? .. be aware, making those changes may result in Windows8 becoming unbootable until you change them back or reinstall Windows with the new settings.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 07:58:41 am »
What do you mean by legacy BIOS support? Is that CSM? Or are those two different things?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 08:06:13 am »
Yeah CSM is the same thing (compatibility support module) .. which should be enabled

See here:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/enable-legacy-boot-mode/

So how about my questions ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline silver2049

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 08:17:36 am »
So the plan is to dual boot with Peppermint on the external and Windows on the internal, but I could change that if it would fix this much faster.

I'm running the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my laptop so if something messes up I can just boot up the liveUSB and burn the image file on to a disc or something.

The external HDD isn't always attached...is that a bad thing? Will it mess up anything if I don't have it always attached when booting up my laptop?

I don't understand what you mean when you say:

The ONLY way to install Peppermint to the external HDD and not have it break Windows booting when the external HDD is not attached is to make sure GRUB stage one goes on the MBR af the eternal HDD .. but that means whenever you decide you want to change which OS to boot into you'll need to change the boot device in the BIOS.

Like do you mean that I would have to install the bootloader on to the external HDD when installing Peppermint?

I believe I do have a UEFI BIOS, and Secure Boot is disabled although I haven't enabled CSM yet I think.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 08:35:40 am »
Enabling CSM will probably make Win10 unbootable .. if it's installed in UEFI mode then it needs to stay in UEFI mode .. if Windows is installed in legacy BIOS mode it needs to stay in legacy BIOS mode.

Peppermint 5 64bit should be able to handle UEFI made without issue, but the GPT partition table means it can't easily be installed next to Windows on the internal HDD.

So..

We'd need to install Peppermint (and the bootloader) to the external HDD.

First step would be to resize a partition on the external HDD leaving unpartitioned space that can be used for the Peppermint install .. do you know how to do this ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec