Choose style:

Author Topic: ChromeOS vs Linux: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly by Matt Hartley of Datamation  (Read 2557 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/chromeos-vs-linux-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1.html *

* The title and ideas found here are all from Matt Hartley of Datamation
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Fellow Pepperminters,

Would anyone here at Peppermint Nation know if an external hard drive can be booted from a Chromebook?

The reason I'm asking this question is that sales are probably going to appear within the next couple of days -- temporarily dropping the prices on Chromebooks.  I would like a Chromebook, but the one program I occasionally use, that is not compatible with Chrome OS, is Skype.

If I could put Peppermint on a flash drive for the occasional times I would be using Skype a Chromebook, I'd be all set.

I've asked this question on Amazon, but I've received no answers.  I guess not too many geeks are buying Chromebooks from Amazon!  I know I could play in developer's mode, but a flash drive with Peppermint would save me from jumping through so many rings for such rarely used gain.

Can an external hard drive -- say, a flash drive -- be booted from a Chromebook?  Please keep in mind the F keys have been changed on a Chromebook, but I'm not exactly sure what these changes are.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
The question isn't easy to answer

Some chromebooks will have problems running Linux at all

Then there's the ARM / x86 question

All I can say is for the C720 (x86 Chromebook), if you read the Bodhi install instructions here:
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/764181-how-to-install-linux-on-an-acer-c720-chromebook
you can see that it *is* possible to boot from a USB stick (so therefore HDD) but you'd have to go through a protracted procedure each boot (putting it into developer mode, then running a command to enable USB booting)

If you look at the procedure for recovering the ChromeOS from a USB stick it seems the C720 can obviously boot from USB without needing to go into developer mode, but I gather the USB stick needs to be formatted in a very specific way:
http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11/booting-gnulinux-distribution-from-usb.html

So the answer is kinda YES, on some Chromebooks, but not "simply" ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I remember reading that article on installing Bodhi back when I was on an Enlightenment kick.  But I don't know whether this is a smart or dumb move on my part.  2 GBs of memory is not my idea of a rock and roll laptop.  This may be a Linux product, but it's clearly not a GNU/Linux distribution.

I remember you said months ago, something to the effect that we consider what we have here at Peppermint better than what is offered by Chrome OS.  And that is unquestionably true.  Funny thing is, what Richard Stallman touts with the phrase "free as in freedom"  is exactly what we have here at Peppermint.  I probably can learn to chroot, and go into developer mode, but what an obstacle path.  But, from what I'm hearing, one is pretty much stuck with Ubuntu.  I could probably put MATE on it.  But Google's rigidity here is a turn off.  Have a Linux laptop with a free and open Chrome installation, and watch the sales take off -- not this nonsense.

I've used flash drives for years.  Being a latecomer to computers I started with flash drives before DVDs.  But that recipe for a flash drive is completely new to me.

In case someone's curious,  this what I've been looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebook-14-Version-White/dp/B00N3ODBBA/ref=zg_bs_pc_99

It's white (not my favorite of colors) -- probably to compete with the white MacBook Air, and it has 2 GBs of memory which is pretty pathetic.  And from what I can see the battery cannot be replaced.  But now it's going for $270.  If they drop the price tomorrow or the next day, heck I almost have to grab the darn thing.

I can probably learn to tweak it.  No wonder nobody could else could answer the question from Amazon.  They really don't know the answer to the question.

PCNetSpec, thank you for this excellent answer.  This will be a tough call.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
That's an ARM Chromebook .. personally (with Linux in mind) I wouldn't touch an ARM Chromebook.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Believe me, it's not difficult to dissuade me from this purchase.  I'm irritated by the lack of flexibility and freedom with the product, never mind its low quality components.

Now Public Radio discussed the targeted clientele of this year's sales, and it's all about the Millennials.  The Millennial Generation is the age group somewhere between the ages of 14 - 34 -- plus or minus.  This is a good generation, for sure, but their consumer interests are different than mine.  These are not the Grey Beards -- of this I am certain!

Thank you, PCNetSpec.  I can't duplicate the purchase experience of the excellent Toshiba Satellite computers we discussed, and I purchased, about a year ago.  They came with Windows 7, and the batteries are replaceable.  6 to 8 GBs of memory too.

What a difference a year can make, and thank you for the warning.  Chromebooks may need another generation or two to come of age.

perknh
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:44:45 pm by perknh »