Author Topic: Deja-dup, cloning and backup basics  (Read 522 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Deja-dup, cloning and backup basics
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 03:27:47 pm »
BTW, welcome aboard, Sgt_Pepper   :)

Interesting posts!

Online grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 02:36:30 am »
This is a good post... I tried deja dup years ago...just couldn't really warm up to it.....I just ended up with a cron gui...good ole Lucky backup.... ;)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 09:03:16 am »
Hi alynur, thank you for warm welcome to the forums. I really appreciate the help and overall vibe that I'm getting from Peppermint land. I feel that it's a good fit for me and that members are really trying to help each other out. :)

Yes, the idea of creating a separate data partition and linking it to the home folder intrigues me. How much space should I devote to the /home partition if all my data is actually stored on a separate data partition?  If one chooses to go that route, is it still recommended to create a separate /home partition or is that pointless?

I'm still a bit confused as to how things would play out if one's /home partition got borked (HD failure is probably more likely and that would most likely take out the root partition too) and I tried to restore it.  It seems to me that one would need both partitions backed up in order for it to work and restore to a new hard drive. From my understanding, trying to restore the home partition to a new distro or even a fresh installation of the distro that one's currently using is going to cause trouble due to missing configuration files...

Any advice or experience in this scenario from more seasoned PMers would be greatly appreciated.  :D

As is everything linux, how you set up your system is your choice.  Most of my root partitions are around 30gb, I don't use a seperate home partition. My DATA partition is on a seperate 1tb hard drive. I backup my data from my DATA partition to a usb 1tb hard drive whenever I think of it, just copying and pasting. I take a snapshot of my os when things are running good and before installing new software using Timeshift. This has been working pretty good for me for the last few years, well since I dumped windows. 99.9% of what I've learned about how to do things in Ubuntu, I've learned here. I really do miss our wizard though.
What was I thinking?

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
  • It was twenty years ago today
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 10:56:28 am »
Hi VinDSL and grafiksinc, thanks for sharing your comments and experiences.  :) VinDSL's story is a timely reminder that hard drives can, do and mostly likely will fail at some point.  I'm currently backing up data to two separate external drives. I've also considered using a cloud storage solution for critical data files such as Spider Oak or Proton Drive. Any other recommendations of cloud services that you would entrust your data to?

Grafiksinc, you mentioned that you couldn't warm up to Deja dup and switched to Luck backup.  I'll have to check it out sometime. One of the potential problems I see with Deja dup is that it uses compression and I've read some stories of users having problems restoring data which defeats the whole purpose of making backups. Has anyone else experienced problems with Deja? I'm not using encryption when making backups with Deja but it should restore backups correctly, with or without encryption.

As a final note, I've recently become sort of obsessed with backing up data and partitions and I wonder if it's partly due to the pandemic and working from home or if I'm just slowly going off the deep end.  :D Has anyone else become more cautious or even paranoid about losing data since the pandemic hit? It would be interesting to do a study and see if there's a correlation between "being on guard all the time" because of the virus and being more diligent about backing up data... Maybe it's a way to have a bit more control over some things in very uncertain times. :-\  I really don't know but I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat from a bad dream about losing my data to hard drive failure or something else.  :o

Cheers and stay well everyone!

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 12:28:07 pm »
Hi VinDSL and grafiksinc, thanks for sharing your comments and experiences.  :) VinDSL's story is a timely reminder that hard drives can, do and mostly likely will fail at some point.  I'm currently backing up data to two separate external drives. I've also considered using a cloud storage solution for critical data files such as Spider Oak or Proton Drive. Any other recommendations of cloud services that you would entrust your data to?

You're welcome.   :)

On HDD/SSD longevity... As a rule of thumb, I generally use their warranty period(s) as an indicator. I've seen refurbs on eBay with as little as a 30-90 day limited warranty. And, some new drives as long as 5-years. Read n' heed!

The OEM warranty period on my failed 1TB HGST spinner was 3-years, and it died of 'old-age' a little after 3-years of continuous usage. So, Hitachi hit the nail on the head. If I could turn this machine off occasionally, it would probably still be with us.

The primary drive, in this box, is a Sammy 850 EVO. It has a 5-year warranty. Hopefully, it'll survive for a couple of more years.

On cloud drives... I've used Dropbox and MEGAsync for years, without issue. However, the sad fact about 'forever storage lockers' is, they don't necessarily last 'forever'. For instance, Google recently announced a new storage policy. Their retainment policy is basically, use it or lose it now.   ::)

I'm an Arctic Code Vault Contributor. That's about as 'forever' as it gets. We'll see. I'll come back and check it out in a few hundred years... LoL!

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 02:15:21 pm »
@VinDSL Your experience with HDD/SSD longevity is telling. It's amazing how quickly drives and other hardware, not to mention household appliances seems to suddenly die these days just after the warranty expires. It seems that planned obsolescence is very real and almost impossible to avoid these days.  :'(

Having said that, I've had good experiences with WD drives and a five year warranty on the Samsung Evo is probably as good as it gets these days. I also tend to unplug my external drives and only use them when needed (hopefully that will keep them going a bit longer).

The Thermaltake BlacX  docking station is a very cool solution to backing up data quickly. I noticed on their website that they say it's only compatible with Mac OS and Windows--did you have to jump through any hoops to make it work with Peppermint? The only other potential inconvenience that I see is having to remove your drives from your box to use it each time...

Yes, cloud storage terms are constantly changing and keeping up with all their changes can be really frustrating. Spider Oak and Proton Drive appeal to me because of their end to end encryption and security policies but it's not like I have super sensitive data to store there in the first place. Lol!

BTW, the Artic Code Vault is a very cool archival facility. Who knows, maybe there will be similar projects on the Moon or Mars a few years down the road. :D

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »
Hi alynur, thank you for sharing how you partition your drive and your back up methods. I've read basically good reviews of Time Shift but also some users say that it's had a negative impact on their system performance. I'm curious if you've ever experienced problems after installing it or noticed your system slowing down? Can you use Time Shift to recover an unbootable partition or does that go beyond its scope? I'm a bit torn between installing Time Shift and Back in Time. Have you ever tried out BIT? If so, how did you find it in comparison to Time Shift?

Your comment, "I really do miss our wizard though", I assume is about the late Mr Greaves. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to interact with him and his passing is truly sad and has left a big space in Peppermint community and wider Linux community. His contributions as the Peppermint project leader (PCNetSpec) were immense and he fostered an incredible community.  Judging by the posts I've read from him on this forum and his interactions with others, he was very kind, helpful and had a great sense of humor.  We can honor his memory by continuing to encourage and support members of the Peppermint forum and follow his unique example.     

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 03:09:12 pm »
The Thermaltake BlacX  docking station is a very cool solution to backing up data quickly. I noticed on their website that they say it's only compatible with Mac OS and Windows--did you have to jump through any hoops to make it work with Peppermint?

No problem(s). I've been using this Thermaltake BlacX dock (ST0005U) for at least 10 years. I did a quick search (blacx vindsl) and found this old post on AnandTech: https://is.gd/Qqnjmz  :))

My BlacX dock came with two (2) cables: eSATA & USB. I've only used the eSATA cable a couple of times, because only one box has an eSATA connector. Normally I use the USB cable, and I've never had a problem. As soon as I plug the BlackX dock into a USB port and turn it on, the files manager on whatever machine I'm using sees the drive and mounts it, regardless of the OS.

Think of the connectivity this way... it's just like plugging in a (1TB) USB stick.

[EDIT]

Damn, I'm glad I ran across that thread (Thx to Sgt_Pepper)   :)

Another Golden Oldy:  https://is.gd/ug8ZAf

I need to do that with this Frankenstein box...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:22:19 pm by VinDSL »

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 07:26:32 am »
@ VinDSL: No problem(s). I've been using this Thermaltake BlacX dock (ST0005U) for at least 10 years. I did a quick search (blacx vindsl) and found this old post on AnandTech: https://is.gd/Qqnjmz

Another Golden Oldy:  https://is.gd/ug8ZA

Those are some awesome posts, VinDSL and really take backups and cloning to the next level!  :) I love the idea of rotating drives like tires on a car and it makes a lot of sense if one's system is running 24/7.  :D

Maybe I'll spring for one of those docking stations this Christmas or sooner as Black Friday sales are approaching.  :D

I came across some "best of" docking stations lists:

https://premiumtoplist.com/best-hard-drive-docking-station/

https://www.gearhungry.com/best-hard-drive-dock/

Before I forget, I've also been reading up on supposedly "the best" different cloud storage services of 2020:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-cloud-storage-1356638 (I've never heard of some of these providers but I do have an account with Swedish based Degoo and they give away a whooping 100 GB of free space and seem to take security seriously).

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-cloud-storage

Has anyone tried out CloudBerry for Linux? I've read some good things about it too.  ;D

https://www.tecmint.com/cloudberry-backup-cloud-backup-and-disaster-recovery-for-linux/

Cheers

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:30:46 am by Sgt_Pepper »

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 10:06:09 am »
In my recent search for information and user experiences using Deja Dup and other applications to back up data, I came across something which I think is worth mentioning and might help new users avoid some pitfalls when restoring data from Deja dup and company. If you re-install Peppermint or any other distro of your choice and change the name of your computer or even username during installation, Deja dup and similar applications won't be able to restore data because the name of the computer/username has changed. It's logical why it won't restore but easy to overlook if you're distracted or just feel like changing things up a bit.  :D

Here's the original poster's thread:

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9627.msg96134.html#msg96134 (Recomendations for a way to backup my system? Déjà-Dup fails. [SOLVED]

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 11:58:19 am »
Hi alynur, thank you for sharing how you partition your drive and your back up methods. I've read basically good reviews of Time Shift but also some users say that it's had a negative impact on their system performance. I'm curious if you've ever experienced problems after installing it or noticed your system slowing down? Can you use Time Shift to recover an unbootable partition or does that go beyond its scope? I'm a bit torn between installing Time Shift and Back in Time. Have you ever tried out BIT? If so, how did you find it in comparison to Time Shift?

I haven't had any bad experiences with Timeshift nor have I had any notice of my system slowing down because of it. Once again, what you choose to use or how you decide to set up your system is totally up to you. My Timeshift snapshots are stored in the same 1tb usb hard drive that my personal documents are stored so they have nothing to do with my system.

What was I thinking?

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2020, 09:03:42 am »
I decided to use Back in Time rather than Timeshift and think I made a big mistake.  I wanted to back up only my root partition and used my WD 2 tb external hard drive to do the job.  I wanted to have everything on my external drive to avoid clutter and have insurance if my my drive fails. Anyway, to make a long story short, it was taking an extremely long time and only 1% of the job had been completed but then I noticed that not only was it taking a snapshot of my root partition but also my /home partition as well but the real shock was when I realized that it was also backing up my entire WD external drive too (17 gbs had been copied when I finally exited BIT)!  Good grief, Charlie Brown!  >:( It seems that when you choose full system backup up on BIT it really backs up everything, including any attached media. I guess I should have excluded my /home partition and WD from the snapshot before beginning...

The really weird thing after exiting BIT was that it was still running and backing up more data and the small BIT icon was at the bottom of my screen and I could see the files that it was backing up. I unmounted the drive which finally stopped the backup process but got the msg that the "device was still busy" when I tried to safely remove it. I even logged out and mounted it again and then tried to safely remove it but kept getting the same msg.  :-\  I used sakura to kill BIT and rsync processes and see if I could safely remove the drive but it had no impact and BIT and rsync processes were still running... Just to be clear, the drive would unmount and I had to mount it again t in order to use it but unmounting the drive would not let me safely eject it and I kept getting the "device is busy" msg over and over.  In the end, I simply rebooted and everything was ok.

It's been a learning experience and I didn't lose any data, or damage my drive but I'm pretty annoyed to put it mildly.  :D I might give BIT another chance and exclude the /home partition and my external drive but maybe I'll just jump ship and try Timeshift instead.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:20:51 am by Sgt_Pepper »

Offline Sgt_Pepper

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2020, 09:23:56 am »
BTW, if anyone is looking for some Black Friday deals on lifetime cloud storage, these are some interesting offers that I came across and most are valid for the next 2-4 days.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/11/24/these-lifetime-cloud-storage-deals-are-on-sale-for-black-friday/

Having said that, they're not exactly household names and could disappear or change policies at some point in the future but the same applies to Dropbox, Google and other well known companies.

Speaking of cloud storage, has anyone used either Nextcloud or ownCloud?

https://itsfoss.com/nextcloud-vs-owncloud/ (June 2020)

https://itsfoss.com/nextcloud/ (March 2020)