Author Topic: Synaptic update now can't boot? [SOLVED]  (Read 103 times)

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 and 10
Synaptic update now can't boot? [SOLVED]
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:07:41 pm »
Peppermint Linux 9 dual boot with Win10 on separate hdds.

I've been on holiday for a week and got back today.  Turned on the pc this evening to be greeted by a load of updates from Synaptic which I duly installed. Shortly after I wanted to reboot into Windows so clicked to reboot in the normal way but got stuck on the Bios splash screen. So no grub menu or any progression. Being tired from travelling all day I left it and did a hard shutdown.

No error messages or anything odd apart from no boot. I hit Del to go into bios then had to wait about 1 minute before bios showed but everything looked normal I have a grub repair disk and will try that tomorrow.

Has anyone had anything similar? It was like the update has screwed something up.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:20:23 pm by demag »

Offline demag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9 and 10
Re: Synaptic update now can't boot? [Solved]
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »
Well this was a strange one. It actually had nothing to do with Peppermint or Windows everything was just coincidental.

So last night I tried to boot but got as far as the bios splash screen again. I was looking on my tablet to see if I could get any clues and then I noticed the Grub screen pop up! :-\
I clicked Peppermint and after what seemed an age I got a black screen and a kernel panic message.

I did another boot and got the Grub screen with the same delays, I tried Windows and it booted but also with a long delay, everything appeared ok in Windows.
Still got kernel panic in Peppermint.

I then went into bios and loaded recommended default settings. Peppermint then booted correctly but still after long delays but ran ok

I thought I'd try the grub repair disk just incase something was messed up but then noticed the cd rom drive wasn't being recognised and didn't even show in bios. Very odd.
Now I could get into the Grub menu I ran memtest and did one pass which took about 40 minutes. All ok and no errors which puzzled me because my thoughts were leading to a faulty ram stick but no, they were ok.

Time to open the case. I have a hot sata connection slot on my case which I hardly ever use directly below the cd rom drive so I simply swapped the sata cables between them. Boom! Everything came back and if anything it seems to be booting faster than it's done for a long time :D.

How about that then. Was it a dodgy sata cable? The connections were certainly tight. I might swap the cables back as a test and see what happens but at the moment all is ok.

Stay safe everyone.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Synaptic update now can't boot? [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:50:11 am »
Wow! What a strange story that is -- but at least you have things back and performing like they should!!  8) I would never have thought of the sata cable being defective, but I guess anything is possible.  :o Let us know the result if you find time to test the cable by switching it back to the old connector.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome