Author Topic: XFCE 4.16 November and Peppermint 11  (Read 1607 times)

Offline timehunter

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint OS 10
XFCE 4.16 November and Peppermint 11
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:06:05 pm »
So, XFCE 4.16 is coming this november. Will peppermint os 11 have that version or lower?
I am just curious  :-\

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Re: XFCE 4.16 November and Peppermint 11
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 03:03:35 pm »
Depends if it hits the Debian and Ubuntu repos.... Before we publish pep 11.... Otherwise you could add it as you need.

Hmmm...the only thing pep doesn't use from xfce is thunar
 :D

Offline timehunter

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 09:48:20 pm »
So, is it safe to assume that Pepperpint OS 11 is coming this year? WOW!
Don't worry I know it will come when it's ready. It's just that I love Peppermint  ::)

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 03:49:20 am »
@timehunter: It would be nice though if they gave us an update on the developement of Peppermint 11.
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 04:09:33 am »
@Johan - What  would you like to know?  :-\

Offline timehunter

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 05:52:25 am »
Don't know about him, but I would love to know anything new about Peppermint 11. Anything that I will understand  :D :D

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 06:10:47 am »
@timehunter - hmmm.... for the most part we are staying close the what Mark Greaves left on Pep 10
lets see.... the installer is Calamares.... Adjustments to the Peppermint Center, of course themes are always updated right...LOL
ICE was updated abit... lxsession is gone..
what else...
plymouth was updated..
Writing a ton of documentation for the future..... :D
Still thinking about the Mint-update hmmm.....whether to keep it .... >:(

on a side note:
just curious anyone  interested in a Debian base or a non systemd peppermint?  :-\
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:26:59 am by grafiksinc »

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 08:45:27 am »
@grafiksinc: You already answered some. What is finished for instance and a reason why it's  not released yet? Why Calamares and not Ubiquity installer? Mint update works perfect. Please keep it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:48:03 am by Johan »

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 01:43:41 pm »
@johan most of the pep way of things are finished. I.e most of the skinned stuff you see in pep 10 is finished.

Hmmm, in the beginning alot of folks stood up to help, but I guess with life and stuff not a lot of that came to fruition.  So only a very few actual devs stuck around. And between full-time work and free time I suppose is one big reason, things take time plus creating base line documents as we go through the process to have a sound foundation for future peps... ;).

Calamares actually has better documentation.... That's why... Ubiquity although easy enough to configure...it was the lack of documentation, at first...then the other thing, being dependent on Ubuntu...once we broke from that ubiquity was not needed. Now instead of casper etc the Debian live build  / wrapper tools are used.

Mint-update.....hmmmm this is an odd thing isn't it.... Pep 10 is based on Ubuntu but depends on Linux mint to categorize, it's updates...now you're dependent on. Two distros for something not just one  ???..... If any of those two change something it most definitely will affect peppermintOS.

I dunno it doesn't really leave much wiggle room for pep to make its own development decisions...

I think the idea is........ instead of being a skinned Ubuntu basically, getting pep less dependent on things will help innovation and give it..... it's own ground to stand on.

All in all building a pathway to give an option to get away from the Ubuntu eco system I guess you could say adds to the time as well.  ;)

Hope this help you  ;D

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:19:13 pm by grafiksinc »

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin 64-bit
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 06:57:01 pm »
just curious anyone  interested in a Debian base or a non systemd peppermint?
that should be really great

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 03:06:43 am »
@johan most of the pep way of things are finished. I.e most of the skinned stuff you see in pep 10 is finished.

Hmmm, in the beginning alot of folks stood up to help, but I guess with life and stuff not a lot of that came to fruition.  So only a very few actual devs stuck around. And between full-time work and free time I suppose is one big reason, things take time plus creating base line documents as we go through the process to have a sound foundation for future peps... ;).

Calamares actually has better documentation.... That's why... Ubiquity although easy enough to configure...it was the lack of documentation, at first...then the other thing, being dependent on Ubuntu...once we broke from that ubiquity was not needed. Now instead of casper etc the Debian live build  / wrapper tools are used.

Mint-update.....hmmmm this is an odd thing isn't it.... Pep 10 is based on Ubuntu but depends on Linux mint to categorize, it's updates...now you're dependent on. Two distros for something not just one  ???..... If any of those two change something it most definitely will affect peppermintOS.

I dunno it doesn't really leave much wiggle room for pep to make its own development decisions...

I think the idea is........ instead of being a skinned Ubuntu basically, getting pep less dependent on things will help innovation and give it..... it's own ground to stand on.

All in all building a pathway to give an option to get away from the Ubuntu eco system I guess you could say adds to the time as well.  ;)

Hope this help you  ;D
Yes it did thanks. To be honest that is the biggest downside of Peppermint. And now that Mark Greaves is gone developement takes even longer now. Personal live should always come first I know. I don't know if I go with something else yet because time is a factor, not only now, but also for further releases. But for now Pepp 10 is still supported till 2023.

@darknet: If they dump systemD you can't play certain games because they depend on system according to English Bob :-\
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:14:17 am by Johan »

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 04:43:11 am »
@johan.....no body said systemd is getting dropped  ;) only adding more choices instead of straight Ubu....
Besides My day job is a .net core developer and MSFT is jumping on the systemd bus ...... personally systemd is here to stay for the corporate world  .... 8)

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/net-core-and-systemd/

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 05:16:26 am »
So if I understand it correctly 2 Peppermints? One based on Ubuntu and one based on Debian? I know nothing about development. I'm just a user.

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 05:57:19 am »
@johan -- that is  about what I am going for... ;)

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 08:30:03 am »
[...]
just curious anyone  interested in a Debian base or a non systemd peppermint?  :-\

FWIW: You could accomplish both by using Devuan as a base variant. It could make an excellent stable and unique platform option.