Author Topic: Newbie & partions LVM or Gparted???  (Read 161 times)

Offline pollywog

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Newbie & partions LVM or Gparted???
« on: October 08, 2020, 08:59:41 pm »
Downloaded Peppermint_LVM  knowing nothing but thinking great a pre-insatalled partition tool ! Use it to install a os for everyone & let them bug-out their own  system without destroying mine, hacks&viruses included (how does that work?). Then searches about "disk partition linux"  brought many mentions of Gparted.  Dear Peppermint friends, for my purpose what would you suggest LVM or Gparted. As a novice i like things that are in the "Keep it simple stupid " echelon.
Thanks for reading this.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 09:04:04 pm by pollywog »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Newbie & partions LVM or Gparted???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 02:19:03 am »
Hi pollywog,

I sorry to say this but your question does not make much sense -- it sounds like you are mixing apples & onions due to not really knowing much about linux. I am not trying to insult you, but rather to inform you that you should first inform yourself about, for example, disk partitioning, package names and package functions before downloading and trying out system tools that could end up bricking your system.  ;)

So, for example: there is no Peppermint version known as Peppermint_LVM nor is there even a package known as Peppermint_LVM. Please tell us the correct name for what it is that you downloaded or tell us where you found it.

Next, Gparted is a very powerful system tool that can be used to create, edit, format, label, etc. partitions on your mass storage device(s), such as a HDD. Because this tool can totally destroy your installation, you should not simply download it, start it and begin playing around with it until you have studied the details of disk partitions, partition formats, and when and how to go about changing them.

There are many informative articles and tutorials related to this that you can search for and find using your web browser. Unfortunately, explaining all of this to you is most probably much beyond a short (or even a relatively long) reply on a forum. For this reason you should first undertake a self-study of these topics so that you can come back to us with more precise questions and correct names of packages, or descriptions of where we can locate these packages, so that we can help you.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline invisible

• Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 03:18:21 am »
Nicely constructed answer Slim.Fatz.

I read the OP's post numerous times and I couldn't quite understand what the OP wanted to do.

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 05:37:21 am »
Hmmmmm good points slim.fatz you got me interested in looking and reading... ;) Here is a good write up comparing the two.

https://medium.com/@matthewboyd123/logical-volume-manager-vs-partitions-a57045945b4e

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 03:41:07 pm »
In my opinion, LVM is much more dificult to use than Gparted, just from reading about it.
What was I thinking?

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 05:29:34 pm »
Hi folks,

Is it possible that pollywog might be saying that when he installed Peppermint, that he used the LVM, Logical Volume Manager, as an option during the installing of Peppermint and just does not understand the difference between that and a g-parted, or regular type of installing?

Just thowing that out as a thought here.

Regards,

The Omen