Author Topic: Talktalk router switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz for no "apparent" reason.  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Fitzroy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
Hi all,

I have a talktalk router which appears to be dual band 2.4 and 5ghz which I assume is common these days?

I want to be able to switch from one band to the other at will primarily because the smart plugs/sockets/lights only work on 2.4ghz or failing that switch it permanently to 2.4ghz.

I'm not sure if this is what's happening but when I use my mobile phone to check the router it sometimes says 2.4 and other times 5ghz, sometimes it changes within seconds but I don't understand why.

If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Re: Talktalk router switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz for no "apparent" reason.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 10:13:36 am »
Hi all,

I have a talktalk router which appears to be dual band 2.4 and 5ghz which I assume is common these days?

I want to be able to switch from one band to the other at will primarily because the smart plugs/sockets/lights only work on 2.4ghz or failing that switch it permanently to 2.4ghz.

I'm not sure if this is what's happening but when I use my mobile phone to check the router it sometimes says 2.4 and other times 5ghz, sometimes it changes within seconds but I don't understand why.

If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful.

We have a Netgear "mesh" router with a similar setup. my other half informs me there is no longer a way to permanently "fix nor set" which band is used for whatever device is attempting to connect. The router just decides which is best suited in the moment.

:-\

Might be best to dive into your router's specific support or chat forum.

;)

spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Fitzroy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
Re: Talktalk router switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz for no "apparent" reason.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 11:51:40 am »
Hi, spence,

There must be a reason why smart cameras and other gear is designed to only work with 2.4ghz but I don't know why. 

Probably worth seeing if talktalk have some fix for this as it's the router they supplied me with when I signed up. 

Thanks for replying.  :)