Author Topic: Hard Drive Cloning (SOLVED)  (Read 971 times)

rjm65

Re: Hard Drive Cloning
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 11:12:50 am »
I have no knowledge of winmfs and the various iterations of Tivo boxes so I cannot comment on your observations.

however it came up with errors when it was searching for the tivo drive...  something about unrecognized name on sdc..

Can you add more detail about the error message?

Did you try the Clonezilla option - device-device?
I only have one external case for the large hard drives, so i need to go to an image file, or wait a few days until my copy block arrives in the mail...  I am hoping the copy block which holds two hard drives, and has a cloning button will do the trick, but if not it can also be used to connect both drives up to a computer via usb...

Offline invisible

• Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 12:53:55 pm »
OK, I understand.
Hopefully, you'll have some success when your new hardware arrives.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 03:49:55 pm »
Have you tied copying partitions with Gparted?
What was I thinking?

rjm65

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 04:54:20 pm »
i bought the inateck cloning device and that worked fine for me, it took about 2 hours to clone the partition to the new drive and it works great in my tivo box....   
i have used gparted to check the drives but gparted like all the others out there does not see the tivo drive partition, it shows up but as an unallocated empty drive...

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Hard Drive Cloning (SOLVED)
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 12:46:57 am »
Hi rjm65,

Great that you were able to resolve your issue!!  8) Unfortunate that you had to buy extra hardware to fix that rather than being able to find a software solution  ???

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

rjm65

Re: Hard Drive Cloning (SOLVED)
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 05:03:24 am »
yes the tivo community forum has the software i need, but they guard it with their lives, they won't let anyone join the forum to download the program...
the inateck clone device cost me 20 bucks, the hard drive was $19.75 on ebay new, so i fared pretty well...
weaknees is the only site that sells tivo drives with all the tivo OS on them already, and they charge 139.99 for the same size drive i got in it...
so all in all i saved 100 bucks....
considering i have two of those tivos i bought two drives right away and did the other tivo also and i will save the old tivo drive on my shelf for the future...