Author Topic: Hard Drive Cloning (SOLVED)  (Read 967 times)

rjm65

Hard Drive Cloning (SOLVED)
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:35:12 pm »
is there a linux based software that can clone a hard drive, and backup to an image and restore to a new hard drive? Also if there is such a software available can it backup and make an image file of any OS? I am looking for something that can copy the hard drive of my Tivo box... so far i have had no luck finding anything to work in windows, so i was hoping maybe linux had something? thanks in advance for any suggestions...    :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:54:57 pm by rjm65 »

Offline plumtreed

• Been using Peppermint since it's start-up
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 64bit
Re: Hard Drive Cloning
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 04:08:45 pm »
Clonezilla springs to mind but you may have tried it....refer Synaptic Package Manager.

rjm65

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:07:21 pm »
i tried an older version of it that was part of hirens boot cd, it could not read the drive, however i didn't try the latest version of it, i'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens....  thank you for the idea...   :)

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 05:26:35 pm »
Not imaging software per se.....but refracta-snapshot is really a good tool for this.

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 03:53:57 am »
i tried different methods but none worked for me, find it faster to just reinstall then copy back the folders i need.
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

rjm65

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 05:11:07 am »
clonezilla don't work at all, installed through synaptic and it is nowhere to be found, removed it and tried software manager and still nowhere to be found after install...  it says it is installed, but no clue how to find it and start it up....

this is a tivo box i am trying to fix because the hard drive died...  they claim there is a program called dvrbars that works for what i am trying to do, however dvrbars can only be downloaded from the tivo community forum... and i tried several times to join that forum, but after signing up you have to wait for the admin to allow you into the forum, and so far I have not been allowed in there.... maybe the admin is sick, on vacation, or whatever, but it has been two weeks now and i am looking for other possibilities...

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 05:34:27 am »
Hi rjm65,

Have you looked into using the command line tool dd to see if it can copy the data from your tivo box? I don't know if it will work -- just throwing out an idea.  ::)

You might also want ot look at this article for some more options. As for your Clonzilla problems, what you probably ended up with were snap-paks or flap-jacks or whatever those things are called. They often do not show up following installation, even though they are installed and can be called/started from a terminal session (if you know the correct name to enter).

Good luck.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

rjm65

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 07:06:00 am »
hi slim, how are you, long time no see...  lol...   i will look into dd, yeah it was odd i read all the information in synaptic and in download manager all they said was what clonezilla can do, no information on how to start it up which i found odd... 
tivo on all series below series 5 store their information on the hard drive, i have 3 tivos in my house and only one of them is series 5, the others two are series 4, so my plan is to take the drive out of the working tivo and somehow clone it to the new hard drive i bought to fix the one that stopped working cause the hard drive died after 7 years of service....
the series 5 i have on my tv is easy, cause they store all the stuff that makes a tivo run on the motherboard, so when the hard drive dies on a series 5, you just replace it, and turn it back on and the tivo box itself will format it and make it ready to go for you...

Offline invisible

• Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 02:36:11 am »
Clonezilla would work more reliably from a live session.

I'm not familiar with Tivo therefore can you supply a few details:-

What file system does Tivo use?
Can you attach the Tivo device to your PC via usb?
Does the file manager recognise the Tivo device automatically?

rjm65

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 05:22:45 am »

follow this link, and you may find the information you just asked me...  thanks...
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=tivo+series+4+hard+drive+replacement

the cloning programs i have tried that are both windows and linux based, the programs see the drive, but will not allow me to choose the drive to back it up or copy it...
not sure what file system tivo uses...
I can attach the tivo to the router, or pull the hard drive and attach via usb external case....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:44:31 am by rjm65 »

rjm65

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 07:58:58 am »

downloaded the clonezilla live session and burned it to cd, booted my probook up with it, and it showed me sda sdb and sdc... sda was the laptop hard drive at 250gb sdb was my external 1 tb hard drive, and sdc was the 500gb tivo western digital drive...  however on the next screen when i had the option to choose which drive i wanted to make an image of, all the drives and partitions appeared except for the tivo drive, so tivo is using some sort of partition that clonezilla is not aware of....

Offline invisible

• Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 08:44:02 am »
Nearly, but not quite.

Clonezilla doesn't work on every known file system therefore, let's try a further search.

With the Tivo device attached to your PC, can you open a terminal and enter:-

Code: [Select]
sudo parted -l
Please post the output in code tags. It may help identify the file system used by Tivo.

Offline invisible

• Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 09:10:04 am »
You mentioned that Clonezilla recognised your Tivo device as sdc.

Have you tried using the Clonezilla option - device-device?

Source image Tivo sdc > Target sdb.

The target image will be completely replaced therefore please make sure that you do not lose other important data on the target drive.

rjm65

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 10:30:18 am »
it did see it in the command box when it was searching for drives connected to the computer, however it came up with errors when it was searching for the tivo drive...  something about unrecognized name on sdc....  but it appeared in the list when it was done searching just not on the list of drives to choose from.... 
winmfs which is made for copying tivo drives sees it also, but when i go to copy it, it says tivo drive not found... winmfs was made in 2009 and the tivo 2013, and winmfs only is designed to work with tivo series 2 and 3 and mine is series 4... 

Offline invisible

• Peppermint & Ubuntu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 11:07:32 am »
I have no knowledge of winmfs and the various iterations of Tivo boxes so I cannot comment on your observations.

however it came up with errors when it was searching for the tivo drive...  something about unrecognized name on sdc..

Can you add more detail about the error message?

Did you try the Clonezilla option - device-device?