Author Topic: Stuck at Boot (SOLVED)  (Read 481 times)

Offline Rusty Acacia

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Stuck at Boot (SOLVED)
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:23:35 pm »
I can't boot my Peppermint 9 installation, it gets past the splash screen and then gets stuck in what seems like an eternal black screen with a flashing underscore.

I had updated my system and installed steam before this but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I ran into a similar problem when I was running manjaro and I was messing around with the driver settings, a black screen with a flashing underscore that won't let me reach the login. Instead of fixing that I distrohopped instead and it seems to have found me again but I like this system so I want to keep it.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to fix this if this is repairable, if not I'll do another clean install.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:08:15 am by Rusty Acacia »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Stuck at Boot
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:17:44 am »
Do you remember being asked to keep or replace a config file for the GRUB update?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:56:14 am »
Hey Rusty, welcome to Peppermint. There are two things I would highly recommend you learn how to do for the next time you run into a similar problem. First, learn how to use Timeshift and take a snapshot of your system when it is running good and especially before adding new software.  Second, learn how to use a DATA partition so in case you do have to reinstall from fresh you won't lose your personal files. Good luck.
What was I thinking?

Offline Rusty Acacia

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 04:19:20 pm »
I do remember seeing something about grub and choosing to replace something, or something like it might have been a pulseaudio prompt again.

Thanks for the welcome alynur, I did use a data partition this time but have not heard of timeshift before so I'll check it out sometime.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:59:28 am »
If you chose NOT to replace the GRUB file you might have trouble booting for that reason.

Offline Rusty Acacia

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:36:35 am »
Is there any way to replace it now?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 11:42:00 am »
Actually I've just noticed you said you got past the PEPPERMINT splash screen so it's probably not the GRUB problem I was thinking about.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 11:48:07 am »
Good point, @murraymint;)

So @Rusty Acacia have you tried to boot into a previous kernel or into "safe" mode?

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 12:07:43 pm »
I ran into a similar problem when I was running manjaro and I was messing around with the driver settings, a black screen with a flashing underscore that won't let me reach the login. Instead of fixing that I distrohopped instead and it seems to have found me again but I like this system so I want to keep it.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to fix this if this is repairable, if not I'll do another clean install.

Different distros (Arch Linux & Lubuntu) - same problem - same machine. Interesting.

I'm wondering if this has to do with a kernel update, too  :-\

The specialized/quirky PM machine I'm on right now refuses to run properly on anything but 'Linux 4.15.0.23-generic'. I've tried unsuccessfully to update the kernel on this rig for a couple of  years, but it always ends up having hardware & display probs.

Does your machine boot up and run properly on a PM installation ISO stick?

If so, I'd suggest sticking with that kernel ver.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:17:54 pm by VinDSL »

Offline Rusty Acacia

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:31 pm »
I have not tried a safe option as usually when it does boot it just goes from splash to login.

I have been using this forum just fine so far from the installation iso so I guess I've booted from a previous kernel?

Is there any way to revert back to the installation kernel?

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 04:57:09 pm »
You can give boot-repair a try.  It's a small lxde system that you put on a usb and has the ability to repair, not only Grub, but MBR in Windows, too.  I've used it a number of times when I couldn't figure things out.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 12:54:42 pm »
I remember I had the same problem once when I disabled secure boot to enable proprietry drivers when installing Peppermint 9 Respin. When I rebooted after install was finished I got the same black screen with only flashing cursor. Installed it with secure boot enabled and when I rebooted I could log in.
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline Rusty Acacia

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck at Boot (SOLVED)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 11:24:17 am »
That's weird Johan, it's usually the other way around.

I figured out how to enter the grub menu from the regular hard drive boot and I tried the recovery options, those booted just fine although both kernels in normal mode failed to boot. I tried modifying grub to change the kernel and found that maybe an update would fix that so I ran an update grub command but that didn't really do anything it seemed. Seeing how it was an update what might have broke the system and how I hadn't updated in a while I updated the system and what do you know a grub update, this time I did let the update replace the grub configuration.

It boots again, so thanks to everyone that gave suggestions. I really did not know where to start looking for the cause of the problem since I rarely run into problems with gnu/linux due to how stable it is.