Author Topic: 802.3ad and quad NIC  (Read 224 times)

Offline vynny001

• Newly Subscribed
  • Very Novice to PeppermintOS 10 Respin
    • View Profile
    • Vitual World US
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
802.3ad and quad NIC
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:10:49 am »
I am able to bond these together without any problem and the managed switch is set too. However traffic only goes through one NIC at a time. I read that the Transmit Hash being Layer2 is the culprit and I should change that to Layer3+4. So, does anyone know where I go to make that change?

EDITED:
For those that want to know how to change this, one must manually change the
Code: [Select]
sudo nano /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/xmit_hash_policy
from
layer2 0 to
layer3+4 1.

You can check yourself by going to
cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0.

NOTE: This is for when you set a bond of multiple NICs into a single 802.3ad connection on the Linux box and on your managed switch. The Layer2 hash policy will use the first connection it sees to transfer and use the other as fail over. The Layer3+4 breaks the communication down across all of the connections that you have. At least that is what it is supposed to do. This is all a part of the newest problem I am trying to solve which is to transfer files between computers a little faster without breaking the bank with the newer 2G, 2.5G, 5G, or 10G equipment. I have quite a few of the lab computers with multiple network cards that work well with Windows 7 and 10 (before they messed up the teaming). I am still very new to the Linux game, so I am poking along trying to figure things out.  I have to admit this networking with multiple network cards for increased speed is frustrating.

If anyone is paying attention to this, I have just found the following which I am going to try later on and see if this will do what I am hoping.
REF: https://louwrentius.com/achieving-450-mbs-network-file-transfers-using-linux-bonding.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:42:35 pm by vynny001 »